Running From Myself



I struggle a lot with my faith. Not so much belief—although I do have those struggles too—but how I present it. I sincerely feel as though a lot of Christians are presenting some important ideas about the character of God in horrible ways.

They’re not heretics or anything, but

 …What the church at large is teaching about God is often heterodoxy (that’s just a fancy word for wrong.) So, I have a lot of trouble identifying as a ‘Christian.’

It’s not because I’m ashamed of God. I’m ashamed of how God is perceived. Even though not even most Christians are like this, I’m ashamed of being grouped with the loudest, most hateful, angry group who are known more for what they are against than Who they are actually for. I wish not to be dismissed out of hand simply because of a title. So, it makes it difficult for me to categorize myself.

I’m surely not going to stop following God because some of those who call themselves Christians are making us all seem like uninformed, uneducated mental dwarves. I mean, if cheese got a bad rap I most certainly would not stop eating delicious, delicious cheese. And my faith is far more vital to me than congealed dairy products. (Delicious, delicious congealed dairy products.)

It’s difficult to be honest about my struggles because people want to beat you up for being human. They want to say you don’t have enough faith or that you aren’t mature in the faith, with the insinuation being that they are. But that’s okay. I want my faith to be clear and unsullied by all that stuff. I want to separate myself from their dogma while still acknowledging them as my family. My well-meaning family who are, in their own way, trying to live out their faith.

I guess I just wish to be authentic. I’ve been hungry to be that for a lot of years. I’ve worn a lot of masks over time. But I’ve gotten better. I don’t have it all together. I know that I’m not any better than those Christians who are misrepresenting God as a heartless tyrant who only wants you to toe the line. I’m just as neurotic as anybody else, Christian or not.

And I think that’s the point.

We think we’re somehow better than the rest of the world because we follow Jesus. Or that we’re somehow better than other Christians because we follow Jesus better. We’re not, and that’s the whole idea. We are, as someone has said, just beggars telling other beggars where we found bread. We’re the broken, telling the broken that there is a Great Physician. So, to anyone who made you think God was an animal, I’m sorry. To anyone that I’ve ever misrepresented God to, I’m sorry too. The truth is that God accepts all of us just where we are. If you’re going to change, it won’t be you, ultimately who does the changing, it will be Him. But, if you belong to Him, if you never change, he won't accept you any less as His child.

The truth is: you are loved. Period.

If you don’t believe me (and I don’t blame you if you don’t), ask God. Sincerely. If He’s not there, He won’t answer. Simple enough. But if He is, and you genuinely seek Him, it will be the most important thing you ever do.

Just one Christian’s advice.




Photo used under CC

0 comments:

Post a Comment